Half hour appointments with Mark Galzerano, P.C. are offered throughout the academic year (i.e., during the Fall and Spring semesters) on Thursdays. Please call (412) 648-7970 to make an appointment. The half-hour appointments are free. Please bring any relevant materials to your appointment (e.g. copy of your lease).
Please note that GPSG is a student organization. We are not qualified to give legal advice over the phone nor are we able to arrange legal appointments at times other than those regularly scheduled. Mr. Galzerano is paid by a university account and cannot handle cases against the university. Individual complaints with the university should be addressed to the Dean of your school, appropriate administrator, or if that is not successful, to the Vice-Provost for Graduate Studies. Please let us know whether or not existing university policies are helpful in your case. Complaints that involve the student body at large can be addressed by the Graduate Student Organization in your school or, if of concern to students beyond your school, by the Graduate and Professional Student Government.
Pitt’s Housing Resource Center provides useful information regarding tenant/landlord disputes:
- Renters’ Guide
- Renters’ Checklist
- Rental Cost Guide
- Apartment Lease Guide
- Tenant Rights
- Landlord-Tenant Law (PowerPoint)
The University of Pittsburgh School of Law offers several free clinics to the public (for those who qualify), including the Law Tax Clinic, the Civil Practice Clinic, and the Community Economic Development Clinic. Below is a list of other local organizations that may be of assistance. Free services are available for qualifying low-income individuals in some cases. Listings here are not endorsements, but do let us know whether or not these services are useful.
- Allegheny County Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service is designed to assist the public in locating lawyers for specific types of legal matters.
- Neighborhood Legal Services Association: Services for low-income individuals.
- ACLU: If your civil rights have been violated.
- TheLaw.com is designed to be the resource for all your legal needs.
- Consumer Law Page: Cases involving personal injuries, property damage or financial losses caused by negligent misconduct, toxic chemicals, defective products, or fraud in the sale of products, services.
- Better Business Bureau: Knowledge is power!